Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Minka Gillian discusses her latest exhibition 'Input Output'...


Minka Gillian_P.O.D_ 2011

"My view of my body and the emotions that make up being me is what gives rise to the forms and subject matter in my work.

Ceremony and routine are important aspects of my life and through the creation of my sculptures I am making solid the memories and stories of my life, no matter how small or seemingly unimportant they may be.

I enjoy the discoveries made while working that open up new avenues of thought. I am often surprised by the outcomes of my work; the end products are often more than I could have of imagined. In fact, when my work turns out exactly how I had planned it, it can be a bit of a let down as no secrets are revealed.

My sculptures are made using various basketry techniques; this is a very slow and repetitive action that suits my obsessive energy. The translucency of fishing line is employed to allow the complicated internal structures to be seen through the outside of the object.

I use materials for their sensual and flexible qualities as well as occasionally using small sections with found objects. When I work with found objects I am reminded of many different people and stories and while I work I reflect upon these and their connection to me.

Input Output is a direct response to giving birth to my first baby at the end of 2009. The title relates to the change in my artistic process as a new mother and is also a tongue in check reference to sex."

- Minka Gillian, 2011

Input Output can be seen at Artereal Gallery until 30 April 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment,we love feedback!